Have you located the fire hydrant on your office or apartment floor?

Standard

Anu_Personal_Photo_2 363

Know where it is, find out if its functional and ask who will use it in an emergency

Insect repellents are inflammable, DO NOT SPRAY NEAR A FLAME

Standard

Insect repellents are used day in and day out to keep bite injuries, diseases and other hazards at bay. They are so simple to use -Open the nozzle and spray at the affected area. Is that all it takes, NO! In addition to use of PPE like mask, gloves etc., here is another important watchout!

A shocking incident happened on 13th May 2011 in Pune. The lady observed some cockroaches near the gas stove and grabbed a can of insect repellent kept near the sink and sprayed it near the gas stove, which was on. It instantly resulted in a big fire and the lady lost her life. Her husband received serious burn injuries while trying to rescue his wife.

Last week, our pooja room was full of red ants and in a frenzy to get rid of them I used a repellent. Since the lamp was burning, a sudden fire was created. As the spray was minute, the fire doused by itself and fortunately there was no mishap. We do read the warnings available on the cans but please remember it and act with a presence of mind.

Pressurized cans of insect repellents, deodorant etc have highly volatile and inflammable solvents for expelling insecticide or perfume in atomized condition. The atomized spray particles spread rapidly and one spark is enough to ignite this highly flammable material in air.

Take Care… Be Aware! Spread the word – you could save lives!